Intro to 3D
Welcome to 3D! We take the first steps into introducing the key concepts of 3D Art practice. Students will learn what is involved in working in 3D, from Creating 3D Art to the underlying technology involved in Rendering and Displaying completed product.
This course serves as an introduction to 3D Art, a digital art medium used in the creation of many of Hollywood’s blockbuster movies and video games. This course will introduce you to some of the key concepts of 3D, and Interactive 3D Art in particular. In addition to manipulating polygon meshes and molding them into objects, the big picture of 3D also involves Textures, Lighting and Effects. We’ll also take a look at key Software tools and the technology that drives 3D representation.
- Key 3D concepts – Geometry, Textures, Lighting, Effects
- General understanding of the complexity of 3D representation
- Students will experience the 3D Art workflow and learn what it takes to be a 3D Art professional.
- What is the first thing a 3D artist does in front of a computer, what are the basic tools used in the industry and what is involved in the practice of 3D Art professionals.
- A brief look at Maya and Mudbox
- Students will be able to dive further down into 3D should they so choose, and into professional tools like Maya.
No previous 3D Art experience is necessary. All sessions include hands-on practice on Windows/Mac computers. This course is an introductory course and not suited for advanced 3D art professionals. Some experience with computers required.